GitLab with Git basics (official GitLab course)
Clearvision's GitLab with Git basics training course provides an introduction to GitLab, Git, and continuous integration and deployment.
About this course
Is this course right for me?
This course is ideal for anyone new to GitLab and Git version control.
As a GitLab certified training partner, Clearvision provides GitLab courses using GitLab courseware, delivered by GitLab certified trainers.
The optional Certified Associate Exam, must be purchased separately.
Objectives and outcomes
This class is designed to provide users with an introduction to GitLab. It starts with an overview and introduction of GitLab and why DevOps teams use it. It then dives into Git, the version control system used by GitLab for source code management (SCM).
Learn and practise fundamental Git concepts and commands. Throughout the course, there will be demos and hands-on practice with the foundational processes and tasks that DevOps teams use in GitLab, such as committing changes, creating branches, merging requests using a CI/CD pipeline, and accessing security scanning.
GitLab with Git basics covers certain features that are available in all three GitLab pricing tiers (Free, Premium, and Ultimate), some features that are only available in Premium and Ultimate, and a small number of features available in Ultimate.
-Access to a laptop.
-Git must be installed on the attendee local system.
- What is GitLab?
- Sequential DevOps vs. concurrent DevOps.
- Concurrent DevOps with GitLab.
- GitLab flows.
- GitLab recommended processes.
- GitLab workflow components.
- Demo exercises: GitLab features.
- GitLab organisation.
- GitLab epics.
- Issue: The starting point for your workflow.
- Issue organisation.
- GitLab workflow example.
- Demo exercises: GitLab navigation.
- Hands-on labs: Create a project and issue.
- What is Git?
- Git key terms.
- Why Git is so popular.
- Centralised vs. distributed.
- Basic Git workflows within GitLab.
- Common commands.
- Demo exercises: Working locally with Git.
- Hands-on labs: Working locally with Git.
- Code review – typical workflow.
- Code review workflow – GitLab tools to use.
- Additional tools for code review and collaboration.
- Demo exercises: Merge requests in GitLab.
- Demo exercises: Assigning, reviewing, and approving in GitLab.
- Demo exercises: Additional tools for working with code.
- Hands-on labs: Code creation and review.
- What is CI/CD?
- CI/CD advantages.
- Concurrent DevOps lifecycle.
- CI/CD features in GitLab.
- CI/CD automated tasks.
- GitLab CI/CD key ingredients.
- Anatomy of a CI/CD pipeline.
- Demo exercises: CI/CD examples.
- Hands-on labs: CI/CD pipelines.
- What are package and container registries?
- Release features in GitLab.
- What is auto DevOps?
- Demo exercises: Auto DevOps and interactive web terminal.
- Demo exercises: Using SAST templates.
- Hands-on labs: How to run a SAST scan.
- Hands-on labs: View the scanning reports in the security dashboard.
I really enjoyed the course. Git Essentials was exactly the course we needed. I think the emphasis on getting to a place where we can reason about Git (rather than just learning some basic use cases) was the right choice. Thanks very much.
Download our training brochure
Our Atlassian training courses were designed for users of all abilities, to equip teams with the skills for success. Clearvision’s Atlassian training covers the full software development lifecycle – and includes collaboration strategies and project management techniques. Download a brochure and learn more about Atlassian training.
You might also be interested in...
Clearvision’s Opsgenie Essentials training course aims to provide an understanding of key Atlassian Opsgenie concepts.
Advanced Roadmaps for Jira (Cloud)
This course is ideal for new users of Advanced Roadmaps for Jira Cloud.
EazyBI for Jira Advanced (Cloud)
This eazyBI training course aims to provide attendees with an understanding of eazyBI management and advanced data queries.